Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Top 5 Songs: "Hunky Dory"

Happy Humpity-Hump Day!!!!

Today I figured I'd just write about whatever it was that came to mind, and right this minute, I'm thinking about the classic album by David Bowie, Hunky Dory.




If you didn't already know, Hunky Dory is one of those albums where you can see big things are in store for the artist or artists. Like this the album right before things blew up big time for them.

Hunky Dory's just that kind of album for David Bowie I think. It was right before his famous Ziggy Stardust phase and album, and we all know what a huge fucking album that turned out to be.

So without further ado, here's my Top 5 songs from Hunky Dory:

5). "Queen Bitch"/"Kooks"


Ah Queen Bitch. It's Bowie's way of writing a Velvet Underground-ish song, and this one sure sounds a bit like one. It's poppy, catchy, and has nice beat you can drive or bike to.


Kooks comes in as a tie because it's also a very nice song. This was Bowie's song dedicated to his son, as a kind of apology for having a rock star dad who was, well, a bit of a kook.
It's just a fun, light-hearted song, that I'm sure those of you who're parents will be able to relate to(Random, Goo I'm looking at you guys;)


4). "Quicksand"

Bowie and I must have a mutual love of history in common, because this song's nothing but a roll call of some pretty controversial historical figures. Bowie name drops people like Aliester Crowley, Heimlich Goebbels,  Winston Churchill, and Nietzsche just to name a few.

It's such a beautifully odd song that further hints at Ziggy coming ever so soon, as the song's mostly about  Nietzsche's idea of the Ubermench, or Superman.

Even the main chorus lyrics are bizarre but beautiful:

" Don't believe in yourself;
Don't deceive with belief.
Knowledge comes with death's release,
ah ah ah ah."

This is definitely a slight variation on Eastern/Hindu(Indian) teachings,
but with a Aliester Crowley/Golden Dawn twist.

A Really beautifully produced song people.

3). "Changes"

I really struggled with the positioning of #'s 4 and 3, but I love em all regardless.
How could one not love a song like Changes? It's all about the rebelliousness of youth, and that awkward growing stage in live where you're trying figure shit out. Beautiful, beautiful classic song, that's become, like the man himself, timeless.

"Time may change me, but you can't change time."
So, so right.

2)."Is there life on Mars?"

Oh but I do so love this one! Like any good story-teller worth his salt, if you read and listen to the lyrics, you'll see that Bowie's telling a poignant story. Sure, you may not always know what the fuck he's talking about, but it's still fun to sit back and let him do his thing....which he does oh so well;)

Oh, and I told you this was the precursor to Ziggy Stardust; just look at title.

1). "Oh you pretty things"

"Oh you pretty things! Don't you know that you're driving your mommas and poppas insane?"

How can you not love a song that proclaims those very lines? In case you weren't aware, Pretty things follows right after "Is there life on Mars?", and damn does it flow and transition so seamlessly.

Again, Bowie's talking about the eternal struggle between youth and the establishment. He just happens to be one of those artists that does it better than anyone, that's all.

And that's me.
Feel more than free to tell what songs are your favorites from this album, or just any songs of Bowie's you like.

8 comments:

Randomnerd said...

Changes is the first song I ever heard from this album, so that's probably why it remains my favorite. No rhyme or reason, just familiarity. But I've got no argument with your placements. Wonderful, pivotal album that every Bowie fan should own.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Same here, as it's also the first song off this album I ever listened too also. And again, how can not love this beautifully crafted song and the message in the song. Classic, classic.

Omega Agent1 said...

Bowie never captured my ear but these five are good songs. I think changes would be the favorite.

Randomnerd said...

Turn and face the strange, OA. ;)

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Indeed you must OA, indeed you must.

or as Bowie himself would say:

"Wake up you sleepy head
Put on some clothes, shake up your bed
Put another log on the fire for me
Ive made some breakfast and coffee
Look out my window what do I see
A crack in the sky and a hand reaching down to me
All the nightmares came today
And it looks as though they're here to stay"

Omega Agent1 said...

Those lyrics were so cool. This is how I talk in character story and creation. Bowie might be my guy.

Omega Agent1 said...

@Random: I'm jumping into the surreal with you guys. Frida guide me.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

@Tiger: There'd be nothing wrong with it if you were;)

"Closing time. You don't have to go home but you can't stay here."

Well..... I kinda always knew this day would come, and it sure has. It's been a hell of a ride, but it's time to for it end. Ti...