Tuesday, May 03, 2011

"Abandon all hope ye who enter here"

Today, I've decided to do a serious post about non-comic related stuff. So please bear with me, and feel free to skip this one because it's not going to be funny, or at the very least intentionally funny.


Heather and I've been going to do our laundry at a local laundry-mat that's right down the road from where we live. We continue to undergo this tortuous exercise every week, and it never fails to piss me off to no end just how bad it all is. I'll give you the main reason why. Like everyone else, we hustle to get our wash done and dried. Sometimes we need to make change, sometimes we don't. But when we do have to make change, the woman that runs the place uncannily, almost always, 9 times out of 10, can't make change for me. I don't know if it's simply that she really can't or that she won't. She seems polite enough that's it really difficult to understand why a busy place of business like a laundry-mat that deals with change, almost more times than a bank, can't give or make you change. So, now I know to head to the gas station right down the same block as the laundry-mat if I need to make change. It's a little annoying, but it's not too bad. It continues to get worse from here. We try to find a washer that works, something that shouldn't be hard to find, but not that uncommon in a place like this. You wouldn't believe how often this becomes an issue. One day, Heather and I showed up just to see a bunch of washers that were broke or not working. ALMOST ALL OF THEM for the entire laundry-mat. Anyway, we usually luck out, so it's not that big of a deal. The problem arises when it comes time to dry our clothes. Like any other reasonable person, I expect that if you show up to a laundry-mat, you wash AND dry your clothes there. Nope, not here. For some fucked up reason, certain types of people like to skip the usual process, and show up with bunches of bags of clothes or several clothes baskets of already washed clothes to dry. So now, if there are a few available dryers that I could reasonably use when my clothes are done, I have to worry that some selfish mother-fucker is going to basically cut the line and use up those dryers. Yes, I know I don't own those dryers, but I do expect not to get cheated; because that's what that is, out of some dryers I could've used because some asshole decides he'll take up ALL the dryers for him/herself. It's jack-assary(thank you How I Met Your Mother) like this that makes my blood boil and go all 'Basket-Ball Dairies' on someone's ass. If you not that lazy to already wash your clothes, than by God you shouldn't be that lazy enough to go and hang them out on a clothesline or something. I think it ultimately comes down to common courtesy. Don't wait weeks or even months to wash your clothes, then have the audacity to take up a bunch of dryers that someone else could be using too. It's just plain wrong!

And the groups/types of people that typically do this; Blacks, and occasionally Mexicans. Now don't get me wrong; I'm not a racist by any means even though I live in the south. I have had black friends and associates so a racist I'm not. But the truth is it's mostly lazy and inconsiderate black people that do this. They come in, already acting like they own the place, I guess due to their misplaced sense of being automatically owed something, and just trash the place. The slam and break machines and dryers, let their kids run loose like it's a damn playground even though there's a big sign in these places that tell them otherwise, and oh did I mention how inconsiderate they are? Yes white people can and do stuff like this too, but throughout all the months that I've been doing laundry at this particular laundry-mat, it's really just blacks that continue this increasingly frustrating behavior and there seems to be no stopping of it anytime soon. Did I also mention that the owner of this particular laundry-mat started a new deal for costumers where 25 cents buys you 30 minutes? Oh god yes people, they came in droves for this! An even though there's a couple of big signs on the walls of the laundry-mat, most blacks and, maybe few whites and Mexicans that I've observed don't read the signs that you can't miss since they hang directly over a series of dryers, telling you you only need a quarter for 30 minutes. So what do they do? They put in several quarters that transforms the 30 minutes into 90 or 120. I could see mistakenly doing this a couple of times when it was new, but this ignorant practice continues on well after a reasonable adjustment period.

I just get so pissed off that I want to commit murder, violent murder. Or, I'd simply be satisfied to just slam their heads in with the dryer doors. Repeatably. Now I'm normally a very laid back person about most things, but stuff like this makes my cool and calm RVD-like demeanor go straight to hell.

Again, and I feel I must reiterate that I'm not a racist! And despite living in the south, specifically South Carolina for 16 years now, I'm still not racist. I just don't like laziness or sense of entitlement that I commonly see by black people that live here; mostly the younger generations. People up North don't get it, but they would if they lived here for a week or two. Trust me, by God they'd get it! Now, again, I'm sure that might be some that think this all a bunch of racist rhetoric. It's not. I honestly think that hating or disliking someone because of their skin color is ridiculous. It's a stupid train of thought that has no rational fact or intelligibly basis for hating someone. It's like saying I hate the color red or green. You hate the color because it's what you immediately see. It's like that to major degree with racism. I judge people on how they treat me, how they talk to me, how they interact with me. Disliking someone on that basis makes more sense to me, and it's even what Dr.Martin Luther King said "We shouldn't be judged by the color of our skin, but by the content of our character." Too true.

I don't know, maybe some brave reader can explain to me why the sense of entitlement because I just don't get it. If it's because of the legacy of slavery, then there's several holes in that argument; mostly that it was their ancestors/forefathers that were slaves not them. The current generations have no idea how that was or what it felt like. They haven't lived it and shouldn't feel like they're owed anything because of it. If that's true, then I guess countless Asian-Americans and Irish-Americans are also owed reparations for their ancestors who were also slaves or treated a such. The only people who are more than deserving of reparations are Native Americans, because God help them, whites made no secret that they wanted the NA's lands and food; Especially former US President Andrew Jackson. It's true, look it up!

In the end, this was a rant and an opportunity to get some things off my chest. Again, I'm not a racist. I hate everybody equally. Ha. If there's any brave souls out there that feel impassioned to respond or comment, then feel free to do so. This is America the last time I checked. While it is a privilege and a right practice free speech, that doesn't mean any asshole can spout off shit he thinks is true. That's an opinion, and like most assholes, everyone's got one.

Have a good day.....

No comments:

"Closing time. You don't have to go home but you can't stay here."

Well..... I kinda always knew this day would come, and it sure has. It's been a hell of a ride, but it's time to for it end. Ti...